Safety is the most important during formulating and marketing cosmetic products across the world. Various countries have different criteria for the cosmetic product safety assessment. Cosmetic Products requires a detailed safety assessment – the CPSR (Cosmetic Product Safety Report) – before products can be marketed in a country. One of the main challenges faced by companies during cosmetic product safety assessment is achieving consumer safety without conducting animal testing. Cosmetics are a combination of various ingredients; the safety of ingredients is the premise of cosmetic safety. The safety evaluation of cosmetic products is based on the risk assessment of all ingredients and risky substance. If chemical or biological interactions between the ingredients exist, the evaluation to the generated risk substances shall be performed.
For cosmetic safety assessment, you will need:
- The quantitative and qualitative composition of cosmetic product
- Physical/chemical characteristics and stability of the cosmetic product
- Presence of microbial organisms
- Impurities, traces in the cosmetic product, and information on the packaging material
- Normal and foreseeable use
- Exposure to the product
- Exposure to the ingredients
- Preparation of toxicological profile of the ingredients
- Processing and reporting of adverse effects associated with the use of cosmetic products
- Recording all information & Investigation coordination
- MoS (Margin of Safety) Calculation
- Extensive Literature review and assessment
- Preparation of toxicology risk assessment report and exposure calculations to determine the margin of Safety (MoS) for finished cosmetic product ingredients
Companies who are marketing the cosmetic products worldwide need some form of the Cosmetic Product Safety reports to verify the safety of their products. Organisations are required to review existing raw material documentation, literature and rapid identification of endpoints from toxicology data within the agreed timelines.
Our cosmetic safety assessors work with you to collate and present the details required for evaluating the safety of formulations being used in imported cosmetics. Our qualified team of experts in CliniExperts with hands-on experience across all categories of cosmetics like skin care, hair care, infant care, oral care, beauty products can navigate these procedural challenges.
- SAFETY EVALUATION OF COSMETIC INGREDIENTS IN THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITY ANO IN OTHER COUNTRIES Available at: SAFETY-EVALUATION-OF-COSMETIC-INGREDIENTS-IN-THE-EUROPEAN- COMMUNITY.pdf (iscd.it) .Accessed on 23.04.21.